Recognize the Early Signs of an Orthodontic Problem
You’re a parent, not an orthodontist. So, how are you to know when or if your child will need braces? How do you know if you even need to book a consultation with an orthodontist? Before you even begin to Google the names of orthodontists in Sugar Hill GA, take a close look at your child and make note of the following early signs of a potential orthodontic problem:
- Crooked, gapped, or overlapping teeth are not likely to improve without professional intervention.
- Front teeth that don’t line up with the lower teeth when your child bites together.
- Upper teeth protrude far beyond the lower teeth.
- Upper teeth that cover more than 50% of the lower teeth when the child is biting down.
- Top teeth that are positioned behind the bottom teeth when the child is biting down.
- A lower jaw that shifts to the left or the right during biting.
This list represents just a few of the most obvious signs or symptoms of a growing orthodontic problem. While you might be tempted to wait until your child is older or begins to complain of discomfort, think about the advantages of seeking professional advice sooner rather than later.
Orthodontists are experts in more than just straightening the teeth. They are trained to evaluate and recognize a child’s growth and development in order to begin treatment at the best possible timeframe. Oftentimes, orthodontic treatment can be provided to younger children in a way that is more effective and faster than the treatment that is offered to older teens and adults. Powered by a child’s natural growth curve and softer bone, early orthodontic treatment is easier and more manageable. In fact, the first phase of treatment can often begin even before all of the baby teeth are lost.
If you suspect that your child is showing the early signs of an orthodontic problem, contact an orthodontist in the Sugar Hill area for a consultation today.