Sugar Hill Orthodontists Face the FAQ’s
If you are considering braces for yourself or your child, it’s normal to have lots of questions. Once you have found a great orthodontist in the Sugar Hill area, you’ll want to make sure that you understand the basics about braces before taking the leap. To help you with some of your most pressing questions, we’ve provided you with some answers to the FAQ’s (frequently asked questions) regarding orthodontics:
Check Out These FAQs about Braces
• When should your child be evaluated by an orthodontist? Children should be evaluated by an orthodontist by the age of 7, when it is easiest to correct common orthodontic problems like crowding, over bites, and cross bites.
• Should you wait until the baby teeth have completely fallen out before getting braces? Quite often, early orthodontic intervention (even before the baby teeth fall out) can help to make room for the permanent teeth to come in properly. Early orthodontic care can also make future treatment less complicated and more successful.
• How long will you (or your child) need to wear braces? The length of treatment can range from 1-3 years, but will be heavily dependent upon the complexity of the orthodontic problem, the age of the patient, and your ability to comply with the orthodontist’s recommendations.
• Do braces hurt? Braces have improved in recent years and are far more comfortable than they were in the past. Some initial discomfort is common, particularly in the first few days after each adjustment, but will become much less noticeable as time passes. Computer technology and heat-responsive wires help to reduce friction, move the teeth more gradually, and greatly reduce discomfort as the teeth are moving.
• Are braces a form of cosmetic dentistry? Straightening the teeth will certainly help to improve your appearance, but they also provide a number of health benefits. Braces can help to correct moderate and severe bite problems, TMJ pain, periodontal issues, and chewing problems.
Scheduling Your Consultation
Even with a list of questions and answers about braces, it’s a good idea to ask more questions during your consultation with the orthodontist. Ask about the doctor’s training and experience, the severity of your orthodontic problems, the estimated length of your treatment, any potential complications, and the cost of braces. It’s also a good idea to ask to see before and after pictures of a patient whom the orthodontist has treated in the Sugar Hill area. By taking the time to explore the orthodontic process, you’ll be able to make an informed decision move forward with confidence.