8 Cool Facts About Orthodontics
Behind the art and science of orthodontics lies a wealth of interesting facts that will increase your appreciation for your orthodontist. Check out this cool information:
1. All Sugar Hill orthodontists were first trained as dentists before obtaining an additional 2-3 years of graduate orthodontic training to become specialists. This means that 100% of all orthodontists are dentists, but only 6% of all dentists enjoy the honor of being recognized as orthodontists.
2. The orthodontic wires that are activated by your body heat were originally developed by researchers at NASA to be used in the space program. Made from nickel titanium, the wire was recognized by NASA for its shape memory properties (the ability to keep its shape) when activated by body heat and/or pressure.
3. Orthodontic brackets were not invented until 1915 by the same man who was responsible for opening the first school for Orthodontic specialists.
4. Contrary to popular beliefs, braces aren’t magnetic, they won’t set off metal detectors, they don’t pick up radio signals, and won’t boost your odds of being hit by lightning.
5. Prior to the introduction of clear orthodontic brackets in the 1980’s, metal brackets were the only option for straightening the teeth for nearly 65 years. Thanks to some major advancements in technology and orthodontic materials, our modern teeth straightening systems are incredibly comfortable and far more efficient.
6. Invisalign was invented in 1997 and made available to the public in 2000 thanks to the efforts of Zia Chishti and Kelsey Wirth.
7. According to current estimates, there are roughly 4 million people in the United States with braces on their teeth at this very moment.
8. A London orthodontist is credited with placing the most expensive set of braces ever worn, for a fee of $13,000. These “couture” braces are now known as Lingual Braces and are available to the general public.
Learn more about the magic of orthodontics by contacting a Sugar Hill orthodontist today.